The Harrow Inn
The Ridge, Hastings
About The Harrow Inn
The Harrow Inn, which stands on the junction of The Ridge and Maplehurst Road, was built in 1808.
Today The Harrow is a bustling, friendly, family-
The Harrow Inns Menu features a wide variety of dishes including homemade pub favourites such as beer battered fish and chips, steak and ale pie, sausage and mash, serving local and traditionally sourced meat and vegetables.
In the early 19th century Baldslow was know to be a small hamlet, Originally the Hundreds Inn which is the east lodge of Beauport Park, then to be replaced by The Harrow Inn in the 1820s when the road through the park was diverted.
n 1948 the Harrow Bridge, built in about 1840 was to cut three miles from the eight-
In the mid-
By January 1971 the Harrow Bridge, or Harrow Arch as it was known locally, was under demolition. Its mere 15 feet-
There was some hostility to the destruction of the bridge from locals, who felt that a simple widening of the arch would solve the problem. They were amused to observe it proved to be no easy matter to remove, even with modern demolition devices. The work was impeded by heavy winter rains that loosened the soil on the steep banks at either side of the bridge creating yet more mud. The waste soil was removed to Hole Farm at Westfield.
The new bridge, weighing 700 tons was completed at the cost of £104,000. It had a span of 150 feet, with a 24-
The first registered owner of the Harrow Inn was Thomas Breeds and Company, who no doubt sold their own locally brewed beer. The Harrow Inn was a landmark, not only for London stagecoaches but later as a stopping place for the local tram service.
The spot achieved short-
Please take a look at our menu to see the full selection.
Mark & Donna